Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Knit, Tink, Rip


Lately, I feel like I’ve spent more time ripping yarn out than actual knitting with it.

RIP Loop

I cast on the Loop shawl and made it about halfway through with more frustration than enthusiasm.  The colors I’ve chosen are lovely together, the pattern is well written, and I like how the shawl looks knitted up.  Unfortunately, I don’t like knitting it.  Last week I pulled Loop out again and thought long and hard about why I wasn’t enjoying the knit.  From early on, I disliked the look of the yo’s forming at the edges.  These holes combined with carrying the yarn up the side of the shawl, look messy.  At the time I considered starting over and working a different type of increase.  But I convinced myself that it would turn out just fine, and I kept knitting.  Well, my edges are not fine, and it bugs me. 



A few months ago, I switched to a pointier needle to make knitting the “loop” rows easier.  The loop stitch involves k3TBL and each stitch is a struggle, even with the prior row knit more loosely.  I love the way that row looks, but I hate having to work it.  After only 2 rows with the new needle, I put the shawl away again.

Although I like my color combination, neither of these two colors (dusty silvery purple and muted rainbow) are in my usual color wheelhouse.  This has severely impacted my desire to see it finished.   Sure, the colors are pretty, but I don’t think they’re “oh my gosh” gorgeous.  A skein of yarn means that I’m going to spend hours not just knitting with it, but also looking at it.  If I’m not enjoying the yarn, I’m not enjoying the knit. 

Which brings me to the final reason this shawl is not working for me.   My main color is a single-ply yarn.  I know that singles are all the rage right now, but I don’t like knitting with them.  I’ve knit with them before, and considering it’s pretty much everywhere these days, I probably will again, but I’m not a fan.  Perhaps if this yarn was in a color I adored, I would power through my other issues and it wouldn’t be so bad.  But as it stands, I made the decision to rip this shawl.  My knitting time is just too precious to spend on projects that do not bring me joy.



Vintersol WIP

I was making beautiful progress on my Vintersol Sweater, only to realize that the trunks of the trees in my yoke were looking off-centered.  Somehow, somewhere, I had messed up.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out where the mistake was, but I knew it was several rows back.  Just thinking about undoing 5 rows comprised of 310 stitches/row made my head hurt.  But I did it.  


With so much trouble in Knit Land, I put down my needles and pulled out my sewing machine. 

Take Flight Quilt WIP



My quilt top is finished, my layers are all basted.   I ran out of white thread and and had to make a quick run.  The fantastic ladies at Stitch Central got me sorted with coordinating color threads as well.

I had practically no plan of how I wanted to quilt it, but I knew it would involve free-motion quilting.  With so much plain, white space, I figured now would be a good time to put some of my free-motion practice to real use.  I pulled out my books, brushed up on some of my favorite FMQ how-to videos, and got to quilting.  I still don’t have a real plan; just randomly working different motifs in the open spaces.  Not quite finished, but I’m very pleased with what I’ve done so far.
   
Recently someone asked me how I could spend so much of my free time making stuff.  She doesn’t understand why I do this.  I gave her the standard “satisfaction of knowing that I have created a thing” type of answer.  But really it goes so much deeper than that.  With every project I start, I gain something.  Sometimes it’s a new technique, skill, or a better way of doing something.  Very often it’s insight into my own creative process; what I like and don’t like, what I want and don’t want; what works for me and what doesn’t work.  And every now and again it’s the courage to scrap an entire thing and start over (or not!) and being okay with that decision.  With each success and with each fail, I gain confidence in my choices, in my own skills, and in my knowing. That confidence, in turn, makes me better at the next project.  In making, I’m also learning and growing, and it feels fantastic.  That is the reason why I do this.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment