Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Joy of Knitting


Hello Friends!

I’m at a place where I want to knit ALL THE THINGS.  So many patterns calling out to me, so many beauties just waiting to be knit.   Luckily, my stash is not very large, so the urge to cast on has been forcibly contained.

I’m not quite sure where the summer went, but September is here.  NY Sheep & Wool is happening a month from now and I have no Rhinebeck sweater.  But I’ve got a plan.

by Jennifer Steingass

Back in June, I made a pretty good start on Vintersol before noticing that there was an error in my colorwork.  I couldn’t figure out how to correct and had to rip back.  But since I didn’t really one of my colorwork choices, I didn’t mind the frogging.  And so, the yarn sat.  Until this weekend when I started thinking about Rhinebeck.  My version is being knit with Malabrigo Rios in Cerveza and Pearl Ten, and I decided to use O-Wool O-Wash Worsted in Barn Owl instead of my original choice of Malabrigo’s Pearl for the yoke background.  I’m much more at peace with these colors. 




That yellow yarn is part of a provisional cast on.  Vintersol has shaping at the back of the neck, so I brushed up on short row techniques before settling in with shadow wraps.  I like them a lot and it had me thinking about using short rows in sock heels.  I cast on a pair. 




Does anyone else get bored with K2P2 ribbing?  It’s so tedious and it takes forever to get through.  The yarn is by Into The Whirled on their Pakokku Sock base in the Irohamomiji colorway.  These colors are the embodiment of fall and when I cast on, I ran into a problem right away.  The yarn blended with my sock needles so well, that I could barely see the stitches on the needles.  My favorite needles for socks are Knit Picks Rainbow DPNs. But they just wouldn’t work with this yarn.  So, I ordered a set of DPNs in the Caspian colorway.  I get such a thrill when everything in my knitting world comes together. 



The pattern is the Hermione’s Everyday Sock pattern by Erica Lueder.  It’s a fantastic pattern that I’ve knit a few times before.  I did try a shadow wrap short row heel on this one.  I like the look of the heel and I’ll report back on the fit once I’ve worn them a few times.  I really need to get that second sock cast on.

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment