Friday, October 26, 2018

Swirls and Cables


Take Flight WIP
Working free-motion on this quilt was unbelievably satisfying.  



I experimented with several motifs and found my groove with swirls.  Being worried about messing up the entire thing, I choose white thread on white background fabric.  In retrospect, I wish I’d been more confident about my quilting and chose either a cream or ecru colored thread, instead.  Not too much of a contrast, but just enough to make the quilting slightly more noticeable. 

I echoed around the sides of my flying geese triangles using my walking foot because, making straight lines in free-motion was not going so well.   Initially, I’d planned to quilt within the triangles too, but decided the quilt top didn’t need anything else.



I broke up the swirls by randomly quilting wishbones in some of the blocks.  All in all, I am very pleased with how it turned out. 




Still have the borders to quilt. 

Tavie  WIP
Tavie by Meiju K-P  is a beautiful cabled cardigan.  The yarn is Neighborhood Fiber Company Studio Worsted in the Old Towne East colorway.  It falls somewhere between teal and royal blue with highlights of navy.  My pictures are simply not doing this color justice.  It is swoon worthy.  I like everything about this yarn.  The color is gorgeous, the yarn feels great in my hand and it knits up like a dream.




Tavie has a saddle sleeve construction, which is new to me.  It’s a little fiddly, but I’m confident that I worked it right.  And I can certainly see the benefit in having that extra bit of structure at the shoulder seam.  The pattern instructions are very clear and the charts are easy to follow.  I’m aiming for extra room in the finished product, so I’m knitting the XL.  Because it requires lots of concentration and switching between charts, Tavie is not conducive to carrying around.  This means I'm not working on it as much as I'd like.  Nevertheless, I am totally smitten with this project.  I can hardly wait to wear it.







I’ve been itching to cast on a new shawl.  The two that have really caught my attention are A Girl's Best Friend by Isabella Kramer and Thielenbruch by Assel Knits.  I’ve been pulling out skeins of yarn, playing with color combinations and doing a lot of “fantasy” knitting in my head.  But I’m resolved to finishing all socks currently on the needles before starting another project.  Restraint is hard.

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment